PDA

View Full Version : Southampton vs Manchester United - English Premier League - Preview

Manu2016
05-17-2017, 03:27 PM
Related Article: Southampton vs Manchester United - English Premier League - Preview (https://www.soccerpunter.com/news/southampton-vs-manchester-united-english-premier-league-preview/)

Southampton managed to end their winless streak at the weekend as they beat the already relegated Middlesbrough 2-1 away from home, to follow on from defeats to Manchester City, Cheslea, and Arsenal and draws against Hull and Liverpool.

This has lifted them into 9th position in the Premier League, and whilst 7th placed Everton are well out of reach, West Brom only lead them on goal difference. The Saints do still have some small amount of incentive for the remaining two games of the season.

St. Mary’s Stadium has by no means been a fortress this season, but Southampton welcomed Charlie Austin back from injury from the bench at the weekend as there is a real chance he could return to the starting lineup on Wednesday. He would definitely like to end the season on a high after his excellent start to life at Southampton was cut short through injury.

Manchester United aren’t exactly in the best of form either. They lost 2-1 at Spurs on Sunday to make it three games without a win in all competitions. In the Premier League this run stretches back four games, with the last two of these ending in defeat.

This is perhaps understandable, as Jose Mourinho has already revealed that the remaining Premier League games don’t matter much, with his focus being on the Europa League Final next week instead. That is their one remaining realistic route into the Champions League.

Manchester United’s focus on their trip to Stockholm next week would indicate that a weakened team will be fielded in the remaining league fixtures, and with them already ravaged by injury this leaves them very short of top quality players.

This, along with their lack of incentive and form at the moment, puts the advantage firmly in Southampton’s favour in my eyes. I can’t see the visitors winning this match, so I’m backing a Southampton 0.0 Asian Handicap at 1.930 along with a 2-1 correct score predictions at 10/1.

Southampton to win 2-1